Friday, April 1, 2011

A Quick Goulash

I prefer my goulash to be a bit more like stew, or a thick soup.  When I had time to prepare, I usually use chuck steak and slow cook it. 

But the other night, I just feel like something with a bit of kick, but I also realise that I didn't have the time to make it properly, like how I normally would, add or take away a few ingredients on the list, depending on what I have got in the cupboard that day.

So I do have some rump steak at home, thick slices, not those ones from gourmet butchers, just those super market ones - our family do live on a budget, and some potatoes and tomatoes.

This is my quick goulash, just for a quick week night dinner, to serve with pasta.

2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp callaway seeds,
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp all spice powder
2 large potatoes in chucky chips.
400g rump steak, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 small roma tomatoes (that's what I had, can use any tomatoes)
1 red chilli
stock
salt and black pepper to taste.
fresh parsley
Cooking vegetable oil or butter

Heat up oil or butter in pan, I prefer olive oil to lower the cholestorel level, saute and garlic, onion, callaway seeds and paprika till fragrant.  Add beef, slightly brown it and add the vegetables.  Add the rest of the spices, coat well, and wait until everything is half cooked, add stock (or just water) enough to cover, and reduce heat, let it simmer for as long as you can.  In my case, it was roughly 1-1.5 hours.  Add salt and pepper 30 minutes before ready, and sprinkle on the fresh chopped parsley when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment