I had a lot of fun and it's such a lovely mousse. The recipe for the mousse is here.
For the Maple Syrup:
• 1 cup (240 ml/ 8 fluid oz.) pure maple syrup (not maple-flavoured syrup)
• 4 large egg yolks
• 1 package (7g/1 tbsp.) unflavoured gelatine
• 1 1/2 cups (360 ml. g/12 fluid oz) whipping cream (35% fat content)
1. Bring maple syrup to a boil then remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and pour a little bit of the maple syrup in while whisking (this is to temper your egg yolks so they don’t curdle).
3. Add warmed egg yolks to hot maple syrup until well mixed.
4. Measure 1/4 cup of whipping cream in a bowl and sprinkle it with the gelatine. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Place the bowl in a microwave for 45 seconds (microwave for 10 seconds at a time and check it in between) or place the bowl in a pan of barely simmering water, stir to ensure the gelatine has completely dissolved.
5. Whisk the gelatine/whipping cream mixture into the maple syrup mixture and set aside.
6. Whisk occasionally for approximately an hour or until the mixture has the consistency of an unbeaten raw egg white.
7. Whip the remaining cream. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into the maple syrup mixture. Fold in the remaining cream and refrigerate for at least an hour.
8. Remove from the fridge and divide equally among your edible containers.
For the Cannoli Shells, recipe adapted from Guy Grossi:
4 tbs butter
2 egg yolks
Rub butter into flour, add egg, yolks, sugar and marsala, knead to form a dough.
Rest for an hour in fridge.
Roll dough out, use cookie cutter to cut the desired size of dough, roll out a bit more, and wrap around a
cannoli form. My cannoli forms were bought from Amazon.
Deep fry in clean oil for 30 seconds, remove cannoli form and continue to fry until centre is cooked.
I also made a Heart from Puff Pastry filled with Maple Mousse and home made Berry Jam:
A Maple Mousse Heart on Heart Shaped Cookie with Milk Chocolate Flakes: