Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg Tarts from the Left Over Pastry

Dan tarts, egg tarts are quite popular amongst people who love yum cha.  I never liked it, but I do enjoy making them.  My whole family, (apart from me of course) all loves egg tarts, and making them and watching them eating them, is my enjoyment.

I've got some left over pastry from my pies - the Daring Cook's challenge. They do store well in the freezer, but hey, it's better just to use them up, so I have excuses to make more.

There are 2 types of egg tarts, the cookie shell and puff pastry shell, so it's perfect when I used the sour cream pastry and the rough puff pastry for 20 egg tarts.

For the custard:
180ml milk
40g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Bring 140ml milk and sugar to a slow boil and then turn down and set aside.  Whisk eggs and drip in the left of 40ml milk and vanilla, mix well till silky smooth.  Slowly mix in the warm milk mixture, make sure the eggs don't curdle.  Pour the mixture through sift to remove air bubbles and other lumps.

Pour slowly into the shells, make sure it's up to 70-80% full.  Bake them in pre-heated oven 180C for 15-20 minutes, but check constantly, if custart is puffing up, make sure just open up the oven door ajar to let hot air out.  Otherwise custard sink after baking.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment