Friday, March 18, 2011

Simple Buttery Water Roux Dough Loaf

I have been lazy with my bread making - into the routine, nothing new, alternative sourdough and white loaves for the children.

Last week, I thought, I might try the water roux dough again.  It's an interesting bread, and I haven't used that method for hmm... almost 4 months?  Can't remember.  Just a simple water roux dough loaf, and turned out pretty well, children loved it.

Water Roux - The Day Earlier
20g flour
100ml water

Mix flour with water in a clean pot, bring it to simmer and stir quickly to make a smooth silky roux paste, cool and store in a air tight container in fridge.

Soft Buttery White Loaf
350g strong bread flour
160ml whole milk (a lot of water roux bread recipes call for milk powder and water, I'm not quite sure why, but since I'm not a huge fan of processed products, I usually use fresh products whenever I can, unless there's a scientific reason not to)
1 large egg
50g butter
7g dry instant yeast
Water roux made the day before
pinch of salt
1 tbsp sugar

Warm up the milk and add yeast to it, set aside and let it froth up - for about 15 minutes
Add sugar and flour to the yeast mixture, and salt, make sure salt is away from the yeast.
Add water roux to the rough doux and the egg, start kneading, and slowly knead in all the butter, bit by bit.
I normally knead the dough for a couple of minutes and leave it in the bowl, cover by damp cloth for 10-15 minutes and go back and knead again, repeat till the dough is elastic, and then leave the dough in an oiled container, coverred in a warm spot to proof.

The bread only takes about 1-2 hours to proof for the first time, and then it's time to shape the dough into a greased loaf tin for the second proofing, around 1 hour and into a preheated 190C oven to bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment