Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Version of Pain Viennois

I've been thinking of baking a loaf for Luke's lunch boxes, something a bit more healthier than brioche but still eggy and tasty...  And then I saw Emmanuel Mollois making Baguette Viennois on Poh's Kitchen.


I made a loaf using his recipe totally but into one big loaf, and then - just like what I always do, I decided to add in my taste....


30g Sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dry yeast
3 eggs
400g strong bread flour
50g butter
200ml milk
80g whole meal flour


Heat milk up and then cool back down to around 40-45C.
Add in 10g sugar and dry yeast and wait 10-15 minutes for it to get frothy.
Put salt at the bottom of the mixing bowl (make sure it’s away from the yeast), add flour and the rest of the sugar and make a well in the middle.
Add yeast mixture liquid – I’ve used the bench top mixture for this recipe, but you can use hand….
Mix well flour and liquid, and then gradually add soft room temperature butter which was broken into small cubes, and mix well.
Add eggs, one by one, and mix well into a soft dough but a bit wet.
On a nice clean bench (I do take it out of the mixer once the butter is all blended in) and knead with the help of a dough scraper if you need to use one, as the dough can be wet and sticky.
Knead till dough is elastic and not sticky and smooth.
Put it in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth to prove for 2 hours or till it’s double in size.
Separate into 3-4 smaller portions and roll them up, and put in the greased loaf tin.


Prove for another 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes, until it’s full size, and bake in pre-heated oven 190C for 30 minutes.



This bread is tasty and eggy but not as rich as brioche loaf, which is very nice in between. 




Please note that this recipe was adapted from Emmanuel Mollois but there are some changes: I added a bit of whole meal flour and reduced amount of sugar. I also added an extra egg and reduced the amount of the liquid. I made the loaf from the original version the week before, and Emmanuel’s original recipes were made into Baguettes and rolls.

I quite like this bread and will submit this to yeastspotting.

3 comments:

  1. The color of the bread is really nice... liked the way to lined up the rolls in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I want to make french toast out of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...
    This makes nice toast as well - with jam...

    ReplyDelete