My family must have loved oranges so much... we use oranges a lot and one of our family old favourite is the Duck in Orange sauce.
Instead of the trendy duck bread pan seared version, we actually prefer the whole roast duck version with crispy skin...
However, when I was about to make it, I can't seem to find my favourite recipe, so I cooked this with my memory plus some common French cooking knowledge, and it has got more herbs? My version that is.
1 x sz 16 Free Range Duck
2 Orange Peels
3 Sprigs of Parsley
1 sprigs of rosemary
2 Bay Leaves
Couple of black pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp dry herbs
1 tbsp all spice
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp salt
½ cup raw sugar
½ cup white wine
¼ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup chicken stock
1. Pre-heat oven to 130C.
2. Clean duck, cut off neck and wing tips, rub outside and inside of the duck with the mixture of 2 tbsp dry herbs, 2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp all spice, put in orange peels and "sew" up duck with a metal skewer,
3. Juice the Orange and Lemon, keep the skin, cut in slices.
4. Put duck on rack, in oven and set time for 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, add a bit of cooking oil to pan and add sliced shallots, onions, garlic and brown.
6. Add the neck and wing tips and head, and caramelize all sides.
7. Deglaze with wine and white wine vinegar, add chicken stock, add rosemary, parsley, orange & lemon peels, bay leaves and black pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Drain sauce through sift, retain sauce, and discard the onion, herbs etc, and add to a smaller saucepan. Add sifted orange & lemon juice and bring it to boil. add butter and raw sugar and the 1 tsp salt, more if needed, adjust salt and sugar amount slightly to personal taste.
9. Add butter, and reduce sauce to 2/3 - or the thickness as desired.
10. When duck is cooked for 1 hour, heat oven upto 230C and set for 20minutes each side.
11 Cut duck into portions, and serve with sauce…
We had it with mashed potato and beans...