Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sourdough Whole Meal Ciabatta. simple baking

Dad was sick today so I had to take a day off to be available for children.
And in between tasks, I can't help start another 2 loaves....

This is my starter, 100% hydrate...
It was started with 100g white, 100g whole meal rye and 200g water... and then I realised maybe it's easier to just do white.. so gradually, I've been feeding white only... most of the time it is in the fridge lid closed. I will take it out the night before baking to let it get to room temperature and the culture start bubbling again...

And then I will make the dough,
This time, Ciabatta. basically, very similar to the white baguette, but I mixed in 2/3 cup of starter, 2tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 3.5 cup white strong bread flour and 1.5 cup fine whole meal. 1 cup water - give and take a few tbsps - I adjust it during kneading to get the as soft texture as I can.
I proved it for 2 hours and then I shaped the doughs - I got 2 small loaves out of it today and because I promised a girl friend one loaf, I had to get it done quick, and the cold weather in Melbourne doesn't help... so I cheated hehe, by warming up the oven to 30C and then turn it off... sit the doughs on the lightly floured tray and slide it into the oven.


after 3 hours I was ready to bake, 230C for the crusty top, and they looke beautiful after 20min...
Just hope I have a better camera to show the details!





No comments:

Post a Comment