Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chocolate & More Chocolate & Other Baking

Weekend is definitely the time to bake...
Well... I did prepare the dough in the morning...
I've made some sourdough ciabatta loaves for dinner, didn't really turned out to be exactly how I liked it to be, but I didn't have ricotta and thought I could use Greek Yoghurt, and did put it a bit too much salt...

Anyway, it still went alright with my Beetroot dip, which is:

3 big Beetroot, boiled and cooled.
Greek Yoghurt - around 250ml
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of honey
salt to taste.
bit of home grown mint and basil (well, basil is not really part of the deal but I just want to finish off that sprig so I can plant it somewhere else and start a new plant, and it sort of went alright in the end)
and Beville Wizz to help out...


Main is the claypot chicken, bit boring eh? so can't be bothered to describe here.. I got a bit of hoisin & charsiu marinate left and just added some wine and canola, in the claypot and childen loved that dish.
Because hubby was away this afternoon and children were playing by themselves - hide and seek and DVDs... I had sometime to bake more..
So I've been thinking, what can I do...
I know my son love chocolate.. Daughter will gut anything sweet, and I haven't made them cup cakes for a long time, so I baked them some chocolate cupcake with chocolate sauce glaze, pretty simple, but they like it...
cream 150g sugar with 100g butter.
Beat 2 eggs and mix with the sugar and butter.
Sift in 180g SR flour and 60g dark cocoa (dutch processed)
3 tbsp greek yoghurt (well, I had to finish the yoghurt so it's in everything I made today)
150ml milk and I added 1tsp of vanilla essense, 1/2 bi-carb soda
and I baked them in 185C oven for about 18 min.
Iced with chocolate glaze, made up from dark cocoa, icing sugar and melted butter.
Pink is my colour, so this is her afternoon tea...






At the meantime, I thought, since I'm going to heat up the oven, why not more chocolate cake, a more adult version for hubby...
so there is the Flourless Chocolate Cake...



Melt 200g Dark Chocolate, 70% Cocoa together with 165g Butter. (you can decide how you melt it, microwave, double boiler, I melt mine in a tiny pot over low heat using a defuser, lazy person's double boiler, I did use to use double boiler)
Mix in 100g brown sugar and set aside to cool.
Separate 4 Eggs, beat egg yolks with 50g white sugar and one mashed ripe banana.
Add in 2 big Tbsp of Greek Yoghurt, add 1 tbsp of Kahlur (or any creamy liquor - I was actually looking for Baileys..)

In a bigger bowl, beat the egg whites till firm peak (I actually didn't use the mixer, I thought I need a good work out before all the calories in the baked goods!) and then gradually beat in 100g castor sugar (well, basically it's a French meringue)
Gently mix the egg yolk mixture with 2/3 cups of almond meal and mix it together with the cooled chocolate mix.
Fold the chocolate egg mixture and mix well with meringue until you can't see any white bits.
Line a deep 20cm Cake Tin (not spring form) and bake in 185C oven in water bath for approx 1 hour.
Set in fridge for 3 hours or more once cooled...

Normally family will never wait for me to dress up the cake, but I insisted with this one, and managed to spoon on the left over chocolate glaze from the cup cakes, dust with icing sugar, and even found some sour cherry jelly in the fridge....

Hubby loved it... and finally I used up all the yoghurt...

and I do have too many bananas, so targeting bananas tomorrow again? One might say, why you put the banana in the chocolate cake - well, last time I made it with orange zest and orange juice and cointeau... this time, I found I don't have so many oranges but heaps of ripe bananas, it doesn't need to be there and neither does the Greek Yoghurt, can be easily replaced by cream or just leave it out for a dryer cake....

I'd better get on the cross trainer and do some more running before tomorrow, more baking on the plan! ah.. I will plant some trees if I can find the ones I want from Bunnings, after all it's mother's day and I get to do what I want to do... which is shopping and baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment