Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Take of Weiner Schnitzel.... The Humble Veal Schnitty....

When schnitzels moved to Australia from the home Austra, they have become australian and there are many varieties, veal, beef, chicken, pork, and certainly one of the favourite dishes in pubs, bistros in the country, surburban and metro.  We know it's not Austrian, but here, the pubs usually serve it with fresh chunky chips and salad, coleslaw.  The version seen early on Channel 10's Masterchef for one of the pressure test is a typical Australian take of the traditional Austrian schnitzel.

The boys in the family love them as well... It's a typical boy's meal, yeah? they love the potato, they love the crumbed meats....

Usually I'd do chips but I'm getting a bit lazy today and opted for the duck fat roasted potatoes (after all, hubby is English) and just some plain steamed greens - first day of the spring, and still cold and wet.

I use veal steaks, the original Weiner Schnitzel is Veal, and they just taste better.

Some people roll their meat, I usually bash them until they are really thin....  It's a good stress relief after a stressful day at work, or a not happy boss, or a bunch of unhappy customers, yeah?

A bit of plain flour mixed with white pepper and salt, bit nutmeg, to coat the meat, dust off the excess.

Dip in a lightly whisked egg, and this time I added a bit of almond meal to my bread crumb (I normally use sourdough crumbs, I keep some in my freezer made from my own sourdough loaves).  It's nice to add a bit of herbs say finely chopped parsley etc, but the children are not too keen on herbs...

And I normally just use a small non stick frying pan to fry them on each side with vegetable oil, put on paper towel to soak off excess fat....

No comments:

Post a Comment