Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wholemeal Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies

I have always been wondering if I can make children's favourite after school snack in a less guilty form?  Like, add in a bit more fibre?

This is just a play on the recipe, as I've never tried making cookies with wholemeal flour before.  However, children love them, they couldn't taste if they have got some different flour in them... Shhhh... do not tell...  I hope they are not reading my blog...

Wholemeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

100g fine wholemeal flour (I used Roti Flour from Indian grocery shop)
85g self raising flour
3 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoon fresh cream
2 egg yolks
125g butter
40g cocoa powder
50g dark chocolate chips

Icing mixture

Cream butter with sugars, until smooth and ribbony, mix in the egg yolks, mix in the cream - roti flour is dryer and the bit of cream made it a bit easier.  Fold in golden syrup, and sift in flour and cocoa powder.
Mix in the dark chocolate chips. 
Shape the cookies...  It works best if it can be shaped in a long log and rolled up in cling wrap, sit in fridge for half an hour and cut into 0.5cm - 1cm slices, it will expand a bit so place the cookies on the baking paper a bit apart from each other.
However as I was watching the shows on TV, I just rolled them out into little balls and pressed down.
Dust with icing sugar and in the pre-heated 200C oven for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These cookies sound so addictive and delicious :) I love the deep dark color in them :)
    Tes
    http://tesathome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, healthy take on a classic!

    ReplyDelete