Friday, May 27, 2011

Chocolate Marquise on Torched Meringue, Lemon Curd, Sesame & Peanut Brittle, Spun Sugar - May 2011 Daring Baker Challenge

Wow.  What a dessert.  Seriously.  If my bathroom scale reading is not what I want to see, can I...?

Of course not... blame something else...

Thank you Emma of CookCraftGrow and  Jenny of Purple House Dirt, to put this wonderful recipe up.  Please check this for original recipe and step by step recipe.

I did a smaller portion and changed a few spices due to what I have in pantry. 

Chocolate Marquise on Torched Meringue, Lemon Curd, Sesame & Peanut Brittle, Spun Sugar


Chocolate Base:
85g Dark Chocolate - 70% Cocoa
90ml thickened Cream
12ml Vodka (I don't have Tequila in my pantry)
15ml light corn syrup
a drop of vanilla essense
1 teaspoon of mixed spice: nutmeg, cinnemon and ginger powder
10g butter

Chocolate Marquise:
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
37.5 g sugar
20 ml water (optional)
125 ml thickened cream

I won't repeat the cooking process, it's the same as explained in the original recipe.  It's amazing to watch the egg yolks and the whole egg to go pale and fluffy. 

I must say because I reduced the quantity heavily, I didn't use the sugar syrup, but whisk in the sugar gradually into the eggs.

Folding in the chocolate base was easy.
And after whisking up the cream, it's all set up and ready to go into the lined mould to get into the freezer.

Torched meringue was made the next day.
3 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g sugar

Whisk till hard peak. 

I had some home made lemon curd, and sesame seed and peanut butter brittle made the weekend before, so I added them to the plate, and made a caramel for my spun sugar and a bit of caramel sauce...



Voila...

2 comments:

  1. How did it turn out with vodka? Did it affect it much? I love the lemon curd and sesame/peanut brittle you added to it, I imagine it would have been a great flavor combo :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. spun sugar never fails to impress me. Lovely work. Best, Sandie

    ReplyDelete