Sunday, May 1, 2011

Roti Canai with A Very Mild Veal Osso Bucco Curry

Well, I must have a brain short fuse when all of this happenned.  Seriously.  I was soaking some cannellini beans and de-frosted the veal osso bucco the night before.

However, my usual osso bucco turned into a mild curry with roti, because...

I realised that I promised my daughter some flat bread.  Totally confused at what I would like to cook for the dinner the next day, I found myself preparing doughs for Roti Canai.  I haven't made it for a while, and  I would like to refresh my memory, this is the recipe for making Roti Canai.  It's lovely to see those little balls of dough sitting in the oil resting...

Only that, rotis are probably not the best match for my normal osso bucco dishes...

So instead of pairing up roti with the Italian style osso bucco which I normally would've done, I made a very mild curry which children would enjoy as well.  As the intention was cooking a mild curry for children, I only used 1 tablespoon of curry powder, but a lot of coconut milk, and some kaffir lime leaves and cut lemon grass, definitely left out the chillies which I normally include.

Whilst the curry was simmering away slowly, I had a lot of fun stretching the doughs again,

making them into little parcels,

cooking them on a slow pan, and go back, stretch some more, and cook some more...

The rotis were nice and the curry came out well received by the children - it's time to teach them different tastes, although hubby and I would like to have them a lot hotter!

No comments:

Post a Comment