Sunday, February 27, 2011

White Chocolate Panna Cotta with Nutella Floretine Cookies - Daring Bakers Challenge February 2011

Thanks to Mallory from A Sofa in the Kitchen for this wonderful, delicious challenge!  I had all the beautiful ideas about panna cottas, and had this grand vision of making them when we have the guests last weekend, which was the 26th.  I must say I got side tracked about baking the cheese cakes and forgot about the panna cottas until the last minute, so had to use what I have on hand, and not as fancy as I thought it might be.

The original recipe is here, and I just did a little variation.

Blueberry Jelly and White Chocolate Panna Cotta - Serve 4:
Ingredients



120 ml whole milk
1 Tablespoon (generally one packet) (15 ml)(14.3 grams) (.5 oz) powdered gelatin
1 Can of condensed milk (350g)
50g white chocolate
pinch of salt


1 punut of blueberry
1.5 cup of water
2 tablespoon of white sugar
1 tbsp of powdered gelatin
 
Boil water with blueberry with sugar, and simmer on low heat, wait until cool a little and stir in the gelatin, pour into moulds (4) and set aside to cool, put in fridge once cooled down.
Condensed milk was used as I ran out of cream, and that's the reason why I cut out all the honey and sugar in the original panna cotta recipe.  I always wanted to make white chocolate panna cotta, so I added it, however it has proved to be a bit too sweet because of the condensed milk.
Similar method as the jelly, and stir in the gelatine when panna cotta mixture is still warm.  Wait until cool down and jelly is set before pour into moulds (I did rush this time and the jelly layer is not as separated as I'd like it to be)
Chill in fridge.
 
Nutella Floretine Cookies - Serve 4 (and 2 plain ones)
-I quartered the original recipe because I only have 4 panna cottas this batch.

Ingredients:
50ml extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup quick oats

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/6 cup flour
1/4 cup golden syrup
a dash of milk

a very small pinch of salt


Nutella - enough to spread
Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
Prepare your baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper
1. Mix everything well.
2. Drop a tablespoon full, three inches apart, onto your prepared baking sheet. Flaten slighty with the back of your tablespoon, or use a spatula.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes (I'm not sure it's because I used olive oil or because my oven is old and tired, baking time is longer than original recipe), until cookies are golden brown. Cool completely on the baking sheets.


5. Peel the cookies from the silpat or parchment and place face down on a wire wrack set over a sheet of wax/parchment paper (to keep counters clean). Spread a tablespoon of nutella on the bottom/flat side of your cookie, sandwiching another (flat end)cookie atop the chocolate. I kept a couple plain for hubby who's got choletorel problem and the reason why I used olive oil in my baking to replace butter.

I got the panna cotta out of mould (I had 2 of them in glass, 2 in ramekins) and they set alright.  Overall a bit too sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment