Friday, February 18, 2011

Simple Week Day Chick Pea Curry - with Basmati Rice - Vegan Version

I don't cook to cater for special needs, and I have been cooking a lot more meat, since I met hubby, he's a huge meat lover.

I'm on the other side, have always been a lover for vegetarian food, or vegan food, not because they are healthier - well, they are, but mainly because, I like them more than meat.

To some extend, when I announced that hubby will have to have at least 3 vegetarian meals a week after hearing his medical report and doctor's recommendation, he can sense a bit of joy in my tone, I really don't like meat, especially red meat, I don't mind cooking them, but I'd be happier if I don't have to eat them all the time.

For some reason, I decided to do chick pea curry tonight.  I soaked the chick peas and some red beans (they are in the same jar as I'm short of storage in the kitchen) last night.

Apart from the chick peas and beans, I have also added:
2 small onions, diced.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
some celery
1 zucchini, finely chopped.

I don't usually have time to ground my own curry paste during week days so I do stock up some good curry powder from the Indian grocery shops. I was in a rush because it's Luke's swimming lesson at 5:30pm, and I had to make the curry after I picked him up from school and get home around 4, and go to the pool before 5.



Fried the onions and garlic first in some canola oil in the non stick pan, added a good amount of curry poweder, and added some more garam masala, salt, cademon powder, cumin powder, tumaric powder and
some flakey dry red chilli, and wait till it's fragrant.

Added chick peas and beans and make sure it's well coated with the curry mixture.  I then added the rest of the veggies and a tiny pinch of raw sugar, and added the can of coconut milk.  Simmer in low heat after the milk is heated.

I reheated the curry after coming back from the pool, and cooked it for a further 30 minutes and served with steamed basmati rice.

It might not be a very authentic curry, but it's tasty and easy for a week day dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment