Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Boy Jack & ANZAC Scones

Alright, it's 3 and half months to go to ANZAC Day and My Boy Jack was not about ANZAC.

Friday night, we channelled surfed to My Boy Jack, and we stayed till the movie finished, well, for me, on and off, because it's too sad I suppose.

That reminded me of the world wars again.  Especially the first World War and our family links to it. Whilst my own grandfather fought in the Second World War against the Japanese, hubby's Grandfather was actually an ANZAC, fought in Gallipoli.  Luckily, he was only wounded. So that was our family tie to the first World War.  The movie showed the brutal side of the war and even it was in a totally different battle field, it still made me think about hubby's grandfather, whom I've never met in person, only in photos, how he felt, in one of the most brutal battles in WWI, as a young patrotic 20 year old?  or was he 19? Similar age to John Kipling?  How did he feel when he saw his friends falling?  Guess we would never be able to find that out as he passed away years ago.  I can only thank God that he was sent home wounded and didn't have the same fate as Jack.  Otherwise I wouldn't have married my husband?

Every ANZAC Day, we would make ANZAC Biscuits, and the children helps as well.  So for some reason, when I'm trying to make a batch of scones today (it's a bit cooler today, so I can bake again...) it turned out, some what like ANZAC scones...

I don't usually take down measurements when I'm making scones, I'm not as good as MIL's mum who'd be able to throw together a batch of scones in no time, I do need to think a bit more as what I need to add, but it is more a touch and feel baking routine for me.

So approximately:

3 cups self raising flour.
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup rolled oats
75g butter, room temp.
2-3 table spoons golden syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
125ml milk
125ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

I'm not 100% exact about the cream and milk, so take and give a few, just enough to make the scone dough.

Cut into 15 round shape scones with a cookie cutter of the size suitable.

Hubby interrupted me about scones being touching together in the baking tray, so I seperated them to make him happy (never again - he can't bake just likes to make comments) and they are not rising as high as I'd like them to, but rather expanded out a bit.

Still taste like it should be after 20 minutes in 200C oven, my oven is getting really old and yelling out to be replaced, so it's usually a bit lower temp than newer ovens and takes a bit longer to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment