Thursday, January 27, 2011

Biscuit Joconde Imprime with Dark Chocolate Bavarois - January 2011 Daring Baker Challenge

Thanks to Astheroshe from ACCRO, we have a very fun Daring Baker challenge for January! Wow, I never thought I could make such a pretty cake!

I must say I left it till the last minute - but then I had excuses, we were busy talking to the builders, kitchen designers etc etc, trying to sort out our home renovation.  At the same time, we also purchased an investment property, 900kms away...  oops, something has got nothing to do with cooking.

Anyway, it's the perfect excuse to the perfect French cake for the back yard Aussie BBQ for the Australian Day... or is it?  I have friends to impress.

So there it is, Biscuit Joconde Imprime with Dark Chocolate Bavarois.

It's a bit time consuming, but it's easier than I thought, the biscuit was soo nice and versatile, and I'm just so glad I did the challenge, because I can use it again and again for my future cakes, and everyone, including the most fussy eaters at the party, loved it!

The cake is very easy to get a nice slice out...

The original recipe is here.

I did half the recipes...

For the Chocolate Paste:
57.14g butter,
57.14g icing sugar
2 egg whites
48.57g cake flour
17.15g cocoa powder

Direction as per original recipe.

I do have half of the paste left.

For the Joconde Sponge:
56.67g almond meal
50g icing sugar
20g cake flour
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
10g white sugar
20g butter

Direction as per original recipe.

It came out rather nicely and easily after baking...  10 minutes in 200C oven.

I used a 20cm spring form pan, and lined the bottom with the joconde sponge as well.

For the Dark Chocolate Bavarois:

180g 70% cocoa dark chocolate
185ml milk
4 egg yolks (use the ones left from making Joconde sponge and paste)
60ml boiling water
100g white sugar
3 tsp powdered gelatine
375ml thickened cream

Direction:
Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering.  Set aside.
Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a heatproof bowl, gradually stir warm milk into the egg mixture.
Pour into a clean saucepan and place over low heat.  Cook stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until the custard coats the back of the spoon.
Pour custard into the chocolate (chopped up into chunks) and mix till all chocolate melts.
Pour boiling water over gelatine in a heatproof bowl and stir well to mix.   Add to the chocolate mixture.  Let it cool.
Beat cream till soft peak and add to the chocolate mixture.  Blend well.
Pour into the cake mould, put in fridge for 3 hours or more (in my case over night) to set.


Voila...

1 comment:

  1. WOW what a beautiful slice! Looks like it came from a bakery, great job. Happy Aussie Day to you :)

    ReplyDelete