Sunday, June 20, 2010

Slow Braised Beef Shank & Tendon, and Dragon Boat Zhong

Slow cooking is always a winter favourite, simple, easy and it can be done when I'm at work.
This is what I did after I got up:


1kg diced beef shank
500g beef tendons
1 tbsp five spice
1 tbsp cinnemon powder
1 red chilli sliced with seeds (can use dried chilly flakes)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup dark soy sauce
1/2 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup cantonese rice wine - it's clear, unlike shaoxin
750g daikun (Chinese raddish) cleaned and cubed - similar chunks as the beef. - this is almost always used with beef flanks and beef shanks in Cantonese cooking.
Plenty of Yellow Rock Sugar.

Cover with water.


This is what is like when I got home - the slow cooker did it again!
Ah.. and I didn't forget about the Dragon Boat this year... I made Zhong with the family, just the ones with pork, tightly wrapped in big bamboo leaves and cooked in pot for 2 hours...


To make Zhong, soak glutenous rice for 3 hours or more.
Wash and boil the bamboo leaves and soak them in water when wrapping.
I soaked my pork in Soy the night before and soy was also added to the rice.
But there are many things you can wrap in these little food parcels, savory or sweet...





No comments:

Post a Comment